Established in 1995, George Gervin Academy is a free public charter school that serves students in pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade. Our Ruth Jones McClendon Learning Academy serves students in grades six through eight. Students at George Gervin Academy meet or exceed state target scores for student achievement, student progress, closing performance gaps, and postsecondary readiness. We are proud to have earned the 2013 accountability rating of “Met Standard,” the highest rating possible.
The Academy’s campus includes three full-size gymnasiums with a weight room, locker rooms, a snack café, multi-purpose rooms, a walking track, and a gymnasium viewing area. Students can learn new skills in the auto and repair shop as well as the creative learning center.
The Academy provides a host of programs that include:
- Comprehensive academic assessments
- Credit recovery and/or acceleration
- Life-skills training
- Teen issue-related workshops
- Workforce development opportunities
- Nutrition programs
Special Education Director: Tina Graf, ext. 7200
English as Second Language: Bolivar Pila, ext. 8630
504 Coordinator: Tina Graf, ext. 7200
Title 1 Coordinator: Tina Graf, ext. 7200
Accelerated High School
The George Gervin Technology Center provides a safe and encouraging environment for non-traditional students. At GGTC, we encourage students to critically examine their existing situations and circumstances and to actively participate in setting goals to improve the quality of their lives.
Teachers and staff members work one-on-one with students to determine their needs and identify learning gaps and obstacles to success. Together teachers and students create effective plans that will help to ensure student success in high school and beyond. Throughout their time at GGTC, we encourage and help students to embark on higher education. Well-developed relationships and communication between staff, students, and families are the cornerstone of our success.
Requirements for Success at GGTC
- Preferably in 10th grade
- Self-motivated and responsible for academic productivity
- Self-governing and responsible for mature behavior
- Regular attendance, as we enforce state laws
GGTC Unique Features
- Teacher-facilitated classrooms and self-paced computerized courses
- Two class sessions (9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and 12:00 to 5:00 p.m.)
- Earn credits and job skills through YouthBuild and CYDP employment programs
- Credit recovery available
- Pregnancy-related services provided
- Academic and personal counseling available
- Students from all school districts eligible
- Open enrollment
- Distance learning capability
- Computer labs
- Breakfast and lunch provided from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.